Monday, 2 January 2012

"Jednohlavé" ( prague pattern) Piatnik

"Jednohlavé" (prague pattern) by Piatnik , 32c.
this deck is the "prague" or "bohemian" pattern. In my opinion , this deck is one of the most charming of the german suited decks. 
Note the rather crudely drawn lion on the ace of acorns ( 1st pic, 4th from left)
This deck is similar to to the franconian pattern,
(http://anthonylesq.blogspot.com/2012/01/franconian-pattern-ass.html)
and bears similarities to the Salzburg pattern
( http://anthonylesq.blogspot.com/2011/10/salzburger-bild-einfachdutche.html)
EDIT; As pointed out by Marnen,  Jednohlavé means "Single headed". 


3 comments:

  1. Isn't that "jednohlavé" ("single head")? I think you left out the L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for sharing this. It is very hard to find information on these decks. I have a very old version of this deck that has been passed down in my family for three generations. The artwork is a bit more crude and I had always assumed that the creature on the Ace of Acorns is the Devil as he is red and resembles Czech depictions of the devil that I have seen. Also, he has BLUE eyes in my deck...that's an interesting change that was made in the newer deck! The deck is nearly identical save for a few interesting changes. My devil has his left paw on a shield that has a Fleur-de-lis symbol on it. The shield on the Ace of Bells has a Cockatrice or Basilisk and a lion. And there was nothing riding the dog in the eight of bells! Very interesting. I appreciate the patriotism of the twin tailed lion but I feel that it takes a bit of the mystique away from the deck when they replaced all mythical depictions with the same lion! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete